A Travellerspoint blog

Palawan? More like Pal-I wanna go back!

Our final morning in El Nido was probably my favourite! We (surprise!) rented kayaks and decided to paddle around the other side of one of the islands we had previously explored. As we were turning around the corner we saw a bunch of monkeys in the tree line! I was ecstatic! I've never seen a wild monkey up close like that before, and there were a ton. Unfortunately we couldn't really get a good picture of any, but it was really cool to see them.

After the monkeys it started raining so we hid in the kayak under an overhanging rock. The water was quite shallow here and we were watching crabs and tiny fish around the rocks. I saw a weird greenish-brown blob looking plant and decided to poke it with my paddle and it shrunk into the rock. I got Brent's attention to show him again and this time it didn't shrink away from my paddle, instead it stayed in place. Then we saw a tentacle moving below the blob - it was a little octopus! It's body was about 3 inches long and it's tentacles about 9 inches. We had a banana in our bag so we threw chunks of the banana to the octopus hoping he would eat them. He didn't. Instead he sucked them up in the middle of his tentacles, floated away from his hole (while always keeping one tentacle securely in his hole in the rock) and spat the pieces away from him. So we of course picked them up and tossed them back at him to watch him spit them out again. Once we felt we had sufficiently tortured the octopus we decided to do some swimming and then head back to the hostel to catch our 5 hour bus back to Puerto Princesa. The nex morning we flew back to Manila and spent the day touring Intramuros ("Within Walls") a part of the city that shows the remaining Spanish colonial influence on the architecture and gardens of a number of churches. We decided to walk around but it was very hot. After we had seen about everything there is to see we went to a cafe for dinner and then up to the skybar of a super fancy hotel to get drinks and watch the sun set over the city. It was an incredible view. We cabbed back to the airport to catch our flight to Taipei, arrived safely, and made our way to our hostel.




Posted by katierichaards 10:16

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint